Saturday, February 19, 2011

Advice Please!

My other three children never climbed out of their cribs.
Micah is and I seriously need help. He's only 21 months old! The other children stayed in their cribs until nearly 3, except Linnea because she potty trained at night at barely 2 and needed to get up to use the bathroom but I didn't have any trouble keeping her in her bed for night or naps. Micah won't take naps because he just gets out and opens the door. And I am wanting to wean him from breast which I know will require some crying at night so that could be a problem there as well. I still need to try just being firm and carrying him back to his bed (thanks Brenna) but haven't tried that yet. I've considered a tent but haven't found one for porta-cribs. I really don't want to have to buy a crib at this point and get little use out of it for my money, plus we don't have a lot of room. We have a toddler bed but I'm afraid of moving him in there for obvious reasons. Any ideas? I would love some advice or what has worked for you. I'm desperate. I need him to nap, he needs to nap, and I'm starting to get tired of being a pacifier.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

I'm sorry you're having a rough time! With this and from your last post, too. All of my kids crawled out of their cribs...not sure at what age. And we just did what Brenna suggested...firmly put them back in...maybe 2 times firm and then tell them if they get out again they'll get a spank (i know that part is hard). or you can switch your lock to lock from the outside, so even if he gets out of the crib he can't come out and he will hopefully cry himself to sleep. i don't think there's any easy solution! but i hope it works out soon!

Ritters said...

I tired to post earlier so I don't know if you will end up with more than one comment from me. We tired everything with Logan who is now 5. Spanking, taking things away. Firm stay in bed and even the super nanny method. He still gets out of bed once before falling asleep. I think you just need to be consistent and hopefully he will be better than my Logan. I also wanted to tell you that if you ever attend the fresno temple I would love to watch your kids for you. Sometimes that is the only thing that gives me peace when life is hard. Hope this week is a better one for you :)

Terri said...

We did what Shauna suggested, put a baby lock on the door so he couldn't open it. But first we put a baby gate up at the door. He couldn't climb that as easily as the crib for some reason.