Sunday, August 1, 2010

Dolphins


Today Linnea, Micah and I went for a nice Sunday morning walk down to Spanish Bay in Pebble Beach. It was a beautiful morning with just the right amount of sun but still with a mist that is so common here. We saw a bunch of people watching the water from the beach so we stopped to see what they were watching. There were three dolphins swimming only 20-30 feet off the beach! I was SO excited! I have lived in the Monterey area for 12 years and am always walking or running the coastline and have never seen dolphins. They were jumping in and out of the water and coming up head first and then we'd see tails as they dove down. They were having so much fun, looking like they were playing. It was captivating and we had a difficult time leaving. I kept looking back to catch a glimpse of them again. I told Linnea as we were walking away, up in the golf course, that I felt like that was a gift from Heavenly Father--being able to see those dolphins. Linnea said that if it hadn't have been Sunday, she would have swum out to them. She totally could have! They were so close! But I'm sure their are laws against that sort of thing. Someday....

I'm so grateful for this beautiful planet that we live on and all the creations we get to share it with. Dolphins are one of my favorites! I'm remembering now that when I gave Linnea her birthday interview and asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up, she responded that she wanted to be a dolphin trainer. How fitting that she could be with me to observe them in the wild and marvel with me at their magnificence.

No comments: