I often go to Whole Foods Market in eager antipation for their homemade soups. They are so good! I recently talked to one of the managers there who also happens to be my visiting teacher from churh and asked her if she could arrange a soup class there in the store. Somehow they just make them so good. I love split pea soup but don't eat pork and prefer not to cook it with meat at all. However, it's so difficult to get a complex, yummy flavor without using meat. I did get the recipe for their split pea soup from their website and tried it yesterday and was thrilled with the results and so I'm sharing it with you.
Vegetarian Split Pea Soup
Serves 6
1 pkg. (1/4 ounce) dried porcini mushrooms (1/2 cup)
1 ½ cups boiling water
1 TB Whole Foods Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 cups (1 pound) split peas, rinsed and picked over
3 TB tomato paste
1 ½ tsp liquid smoke seasoning
1 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp sage, crumbled
Prep Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes – largely unattended
1. In small heatproof bowl, combine mushrooms and boiling water. Let stand 20 min. or until mushrooms have softened. With your fingers, lift mushrooms from liquid. Rinse mushrooms. Strain soaking liquid through a sieve lined with a damp paper towel; set aside liquid.
2. In 5 qt. Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, 10 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
3. Add carrots and cook 7 minutes or until tender. Stir in split peas, tomato paste, liquid smoke, salt, pepper, sage, mushrooms, and their strained soaking liquid. Stir to combine. Add 6 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 45 minutes or until split peas are tender.
4. Working in small batches, transfer to food processor or blender and process until smooth.
I served with crusty bread and salad and it was yummy and satisfying.
No comments:
Post a Comment