Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Band Begins!




I was quite worried about band this year and if their would be one at Jacen's new school. Pacific Grove had a very nice band program and Jacen was very excited to begin learning to play the trumpet. Then we moved to Coalinga where their wasn't any band program for 5th graders. Jacen went to the middle school to their tiny struggling band class a few times until his principal found out and put a stop to that. (The teachers had enthusiastically agreed but only assumed it would be okay with the principal.) Then he didn't have anything and I was unable to learn of any teacher in the area. So here I hoped the school would have a band but didn't think it would. Bayview school is wonderful but the district has a lot of money problems like most schools in California. So anyway, I was pleased and surprised that a band teacher would come once a week and instruct the 5th and 6th graders. However, the students aren't allowed to pick the instrument. All 5th graders play clarinet and 6th graders play either trombone or baritone. Other schools in the district are learned different instruments and then at the end of the year they will all come together in a huge group unprecedented in the history of Monterey School District with a grand performance. That will be something to see and something to admire the instructor for! So Jacen is baritone. He is a little advanced because of his trumpet playing and the similarities between the two. I love the sound of the instrument and I'm sure learning baritone will help him learn trumpet better too. So we took a picture of Jacen with his new baritone and then another picture of him with all his musical instruments.

No comments: