Jacen started Seminary this school year. I take him to the church for a 6 o'clock scripture study designed for high school students. When we arrive in the church parking lot in Skyline Forest Drive, it is a dark twilight outside. I stretch for a moment before taking off into the forest for my run. I'm kind of nervous at first. This area is notorious for mountain lions and I am usually alone. I try to make a little noise as I'm running (thinking it might scare off anything? but maybe I'm just alerting something?). I glance behind me often. If I hear a noise, I may jump. I look into the woods to both sides and can't help but imagine what may be lurking within. I have even thought about mythical creatures. Why do I let my imagination run away from me?My body is warm and I have climbed a sloping hill.
The sky is considerably lighter one mile in. I'm approaching some houses. Well, at least someone could possibly hear my scream.
I'm in my groove by the end of mile two and relish the steep hill I am approaching. How I love a good hill! I can feel my hamstrings strengthening. I think my previous imaginations were silly and I'm so glad to have this time running, clearing my thoughts...time to be introspective.
I turn the bend and see a beautiful view of the Pacific ocean along Pebble Beach's scenic coastline. My breath is taken away as the sun has risen.
I decline back through the forests finishing up my four mile loop. They are beautiful as the sunlight tries to find its way through the morning fog.
My favorite time of day.
My favorite time of day.
7 comments:
Are you gonna be a writer some day? That was good! And you are brave. My imagination would totally be running wild in that scenario.
That sounds beautiful, but as worry-wart friend, could you maybe put a little bell on your shoelace so you don't startle anything that may not react nicely? Sorry I always worried about J on runs back there too.
maybe i'd be more motivated to run if i had that kind of scenery around here ;-) i know just where you are talking about... so beautiful!
Wow, this is beautiful! I miss the beauty of the ocean and the ability to go running. But it's all for a good cause!:)
Wow, you are amazing! Those are beautiful pictures!
Love this story! I kind of freak myself out sometimes too, but I love a good run.
Very nice blog, and beautiful pictures!! :)
Post a Comment