Wednesday, August 26, 2009

E.R.


Those of you with little boys (and some little girls) understand that an occasional trip to the emergency room is inevitable.

It all started at Albert's softball game--of course it had to be the all-important playoff game.

Gavin and his cousin Carter (Tera's 8-year-old) were off playing. My friend Brenna hears Gavin crying and informs me. While I start in that direction, Carter comes running to me. Gavin is behind a tall locked fence crying, with his hand bleeding A LOT. I have Micah in the Moby on the front of me so I quickly enlist Shaun's (Brenna's husband and softball player in dug out) help. He pulls Gavin over the fence.

We hurry to wash off Gavin's hand and I almost pass out when I see the deep gash in his thumb with insides hanging out (I guess I shouldn't be a nurse). I call to Albert on the field for help. At the same time Brenna rushes to her car for a first aid kit. All the while Gavin is screaming. Carter announces in his most grown-up, authoritative voice, "I'm a boy scout so I know what to do. The first thing to do is stay calm!"

We hop in the car to go to the E.R. and Gavin cries that he needs Carter to go with him to help him be brave.

At the emergency room, the volunteer checking us in asks if Carter is the big brother. I say, "No, cousin." Carter quickly clarifies: "Favorite cousin." We have to make that very clear apparently.

End of story: Gavin gets glued up and comes home in time for bed all bandaged up with a story to tell his kindergarten class. He let us all know that we needed to feel really sorry for him. (That's a boy for you!)

Lesson: Never Play with Glass.

3 comments:

Piano Mom said...

Poor guy! I hope his finger gets better soon.

Ben and Rachel said...

Oh no! you mean I have this to look forward to?

Karena said...

Wow, we have had many ER visits, but not one for that reason. I hope it gets better soon!