"As Christmas comes, let it be a time that lights the eyes of children and puts laughter on their lips." --Elder Richard L. Evans
We made sugar cookies earlier Christmas day to have some special cookies to leave out for Santa Claus..and of course a carrot for his reindeer. In the morning, of course they were gone and some of the cookie crumbled up on the floor where the cat had eaten her part of the treat.
Linnea was so very excited to get an American Girl this year. Her big doll in the picture is Felicity, a historic girl living in Virginia during the Revolutionary War. The two mini American Girl dolls are Kit (from the historic time of the 1930's during the depression years) and Kirsten (immigrated from Sweden to Minnesota). Linnea also got Felicity's movie and several books from the girls to learn about their historic time period. I loved this books when I was a girl and so I admit, I am living through my daughter in giving them to her. I was as excited as she was! It's great for her to be able to learn about history through these great books and dolls and movies.
One of our Christmas traditions ever since I was a little girl was to enact the play of the Nativity, including reading from the scriptures. The children really love doing this and it really helps us to focus on the true meaning of Christmas. We went over to Grampa Neufeld's house on Christmas Eve afternoon to have dinner and enact this Christmas play.
"As we think of the happiness of Christmases past and the joy of this Christmas, may we savor and perpetuate the Christmas traditions which express our endearment and love to each other." --President James E. Faust
"Traditions offer opportunities to create memories, share love, and build strong bonds between family members. They will not only help your family life be more peaceful and rewarding, they will also give your children memories they can draw on no matter where they go or who they grow up to be." --Linda and Richard EyreWe had such a fantastic Christmas and since we finished our shopping and wrapping and planning before December, we were able to really appreciate being together and doing activities together without quite so much stress. On Christmas Day, Grampa and Grama Sirman and Great Grampa Neufeld and the missionaries from our ward came over to have Christmas dinner with us. We appreciated their company and the sweet spirit of Christmas they brought with them. We had a candle lighting activity with scripture reading that was nice. We also sang Christmas songs together while Sister Richardson and I played our flutes for the accompaniment. I loved having someone to play my flute with--it was so much fun! All in all, we had a wonderful Christmas at home. The next day Gavin put his stocking out again for Santa. We had to explain that Christmas comes only once a year!
No comments:
Post a Comment