Thursday, July 5, 2012

Snorkling and 4th of July comments

This is Gavin and his friend, Lily from a couple of weeks ago at the beach. Lily's Dad is a diver and brought snorkeling gear for the kids and took them out snorkeling. Gavin LOVED it and that's an understatement.

I'm sad that we didn't get any pictures of our Fourth of July yesterday. Jacen still hasn't taken the Fiji pictures off the camera and I'm afraid to use it and have something happen to them. I will probably do it for him though because we need to take the camera to Bass Lake this weekend. It was a very fun filled day even without fireworks (which are banned and there are no shows around here either). We started with a 5k run for me (I was very happy with a 23:10 time, 7:28 pace) and then a nutritious breakfast with our ward at the greatest-park-ever, Dennis the Menace Park, and a 1k run for the kids and families. Micah ran the whole way and Gavin led the pack. We played at the park and then headed off to the parade. Thank goodness Monterey had a return of their parade. It wasn't quite as good as it has been in years past but I'm not going to complain. At least it was a Fourth of July parade. AND it was pretty cool when the Navy SEALS dropped from an airplane in parachutes on the lawn of Colton Hall. Cool. We came home and the kids played with friends and then we headed down the street to a friend's house for a barbeque/pool party. It was a cloudy, cool day so it was great that their pool was indoor. We were exhausted and glad to get into bed early after watching Albert interviewed on television about what its like to celebrate Independence Day as a Latino. As usual, the kids will wait until the local Feast of Lanterns for their fireworks at the end of the month. I'm so grateful to be an American and enjoy the freedoms that are ours. I don't take them for granted. At least I try not to. I think its noble and I am proud that America stands for freedom, no matter who or where. No matter if the oppressed is on our soil or not. I'm proud of that. And I pray that God will continue to bless America.

No comments: