Thursday, August 16, 2007

My Morning Run in Paradise







I leave for my run. As I walk out the front door, I am chilled by the mist in the air. I shiver a little in my light running clothes as I begin warming up with a brisk walk. I turn the corner to go down the hill to the ocean and forget everything as I view the amazing panoramic scene before me. The sun is just barely peeking out behind a distant mountain lighting just a portion of the bay. The clouds, mountains, ocean--a breathtaking view. I forget about my chill as I am caught up in the beauty around me.

I begin my run. All is quiet in the early morning. All I hear is the music of the world around me. I fall into the steady rhythm of my run. I hear seagulls around me noisily searching for their breakfast. I feel and hear the sand crunching with every step. The water is quiet and glass-like beside me. I hear subtle splashing and grunting and look down on the beach to see baby seals waking. I smile to myself. I look ahead and see the Juniper trees silhouetted against the lightening sky and water. I run through a small group of trees and spot a buck with majestic antlers quietly observing me pass. I look back at him as I pass, appreciating his presence. My eyes are drawn again to the water as I round a corner and am able to view out of the bay into the vast wide ocean. I feel small. I feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude for this beautiful world that I am blessed to live. I watch the uniform "V" shape of geese skim the water and rise into the sky. I enjoy the silent revelry for several minutes as I leave behind quiet and beautiful Pacific Grove and enter the historic Cannery Row of Monterey. My mind travels through time to the people that settled here and worked here so many years ago. I think of these same streets and buildings that have seen so much change. My mind gets caught up in the history that John Steinbeck popularized. Up ahead I hear the rhythmic footsteps of many runners and see the military recruits. The city is awakening. I try to take a piece of their discipline with me as I begin to ascend the sizable inclined hill that leads me home. I internally switch gears to make it up the hill as a biker coasts down the opposite direction. I think of my last calorie busting effort after a long peaceful run. I reach the stop of the hill, my lungs heaving in my chest. I am grateful for the cool mist.



1 comment:

LollyGirl said...

Yeah for new blogs!!

You make running sound so peaceful--I wish I enjoyed it like you do.